Every time I see remarks along the lines of “what would Victor Hugo say if he saw people arguing about his work!” or “Victor Hugo wouldn’t want us disagreeing like this!” “Victor would just want us all to be nicer!” I have a bit of a chuckle.
Are we talking about the same Victor Hugo?
The guy who was known to delight in befriending people he could easily beat in debates? The guy who participated in literary circles that indulged in vigorous critical arguments? The guy who could be scathing of opinions he didn’t agree with, political, artistic or personal? Who had a huge ego (do you really want to talk about “pretentiousness”)?
Hugo wouldn’t approve of petty cruelty, no - but Hugo was a man of strong ideas and opinions, and who wasn’t overly concerned with being “nice” when he expressed them - he liked a rigorous discussion and exchange of ideas (rather like the Amis do when they’re tossing ideas and arguments around in the back room of the Musain). Hugo is not to be confused with someone of anodyne “niceness” - he was a huge character, and he could be confronting, egoistical, provocative and magnificent.
- theydiedtogether likes this
- simulatedstars likes this
- ppopine reblogged this from edwarddespard
- kayla-bird likes this
- edwarddespard reblogged this from amarguerite and added:
- caerdroia likes this
- skyvoice reblogged this from thehighestpie and added:
- amarguerite reblogged this from thehighestpie and added:
- halicapoli likes this
- grantaire-sleeping likes this
- jondrette-du-fromage reblogged this from maedhrys
- jondrette-du-fromage likes this
- darthfar likes this
- thehighestpie reblogged this from maedhrys and added:
- sydneyflapper likes this
- gascon-en-exil reblogged this from edwarddespard and added:
- javert likes this
- themoffatess reblogged this from maedhrys
- maedhrys reblogged this from edwarddespard and added:
- epicnessatitsbest likes this
- feuilly likes this
- elrastrodetusangreenlanieve likes this
- laissezferre likes this
- jossarian likes this
- organt likes this
- rosalindfranklins likes this