One of the things that’s bemusing is the idea that Enjolras somehow looks down upon his friends beause he doesn’t participate in their shenanigans. We see it time and time again - there are several fics that depict him as scornful of Jehan’s poetry, for example, or getting cranky with the others for drinking.
Do we see it in the text? Nope. On a general backroom day Enjolras says nothing while his friends are discussing tight pants, writing plays and listening to Grantaire rant…he only speaks up to offer a dry one-liner to a conversation Courfeyrac is having.
The attitude of some sections of fandom to Enjolras’ non-participation reminds me of the attitude of some people if you’re not actively participating in their fun and games. If you’re not with them, then you’re censoriously disapproving. Doesn’t matter if you’re actually just disinterested, it’s just not your thing or you’re preoccupied with something else…no, if you’re not playing along, they assume you must be looking down your nose.
- ereini0n likes this
- sydneyflapper likes this
- lajacobine reblogged this from apocalypse-revolutionnaire
- apocalypse-revolutionnaire reblogged this from lacommunarde
- montagnarde1793 likes this
- apocalypse-revolutionnaire likes this
- wavesondistantshores likes this
- ancslove reblogged this from keeping-up-with-les-amis
- ohmarciusmarcius likes this
- blackholeinfinity likes this
- keeping-up-with-les-amis likes this
- jessie24601 likes this
- edwarddespard posted this